History of The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies
Progressive was founded in 1937. For more than 70 years, we've taken an innovative approach to auto insurance.
Progressive offered drive-in claims service before any other auto insurance company. In another industry first, Progressive allowed customers to pay auto insurance premiums in installments — an appealing option for those who couldn't afford annual payments.
Progressive wanted — and still wants — to make auto insurance accessible and easy, so more people can protect their vehicles.
Some of Progressive's recent innovations and milestones include:
- 1990 — Progressive introduced Immediate Response® claims service, available 24/7, to provide you with personal service and support immediately after you report a claim.
- 1992 — Progressive was recognized as the largest seller of auto insurance through independent insurance agents.
- 1994 — Progressive surpassed $2 billion in written premiums.
- 1994 — Progressive introduced the Immediate Response® Vehicle (IRV), a specially marked and outfitted vehicle that brings trained claims professionals to you, wherever you need them: to auto repair shops, tow yards, or even your home or work. This helps resolve your auto claim more quickly and accurately.
- 2003 — Progressive introduced the concierge level of claims service. With this level of service, Progressive oversees all elements of the auto claims and repair process on your behalf. This reduces the time you typically spend managing auto repairs from about four days to 15 minutes. Simply drop off your auto at a claims service center (located in select markets) and pick it up once the repairs are complete. Progressive manages everything in between.
#1 Provider of Auto Insurance Sold through Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers
Today The Progressive Group is the leading provider of auto insurance sold through independent insurance agents — a position we've held since 1992.
The Progressive Group chooses to work with independent insurance agents because they are instrumental in providing you with the level of service you want when shopping for insurance.
For example, local independent insurance agents are familiar with your neighborhood — and can offer you knowledgeable advice about your insurance needs, including auto insurance. In addition, your local agent provides personalized quotes, convenient service and choice — all combined with Progressive's superior claims service.
The Progressive Group's insurance products are sold by more than 30,000 independent agencies throughout the United States. That means there's a good chance an independent agent is located in your neighborhood — and ready to help you.
If you're ready to reap the benefits of working with an independent agent, simply use the Agent Locator Tool to find one in your area.
Social Responsibility at Progressive
We explore ways to ensure a better future for all within the context of our business. We focus on insurance, which is what we know best, while working hard to minimize our effect on the environment. To learn more about our social responsibility initiatives — and how you can be part of them — visit progressive.com/socialresponsibility.